Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

At Ken McLaughlin Insurance Services, we understand making insurance decisions can be overwhelming at times and we are here to help. Ken McLaughlin Insurance Services does not take a cookie cutter approach to insurance. Whether you have questions about you auto insurance or your homeowners insurance, we are here to help. Below are common questions we hear from customers. Please note this is not an all-inclusive list, if you are not seeing your question below or wanting to learn more about a particular type of insurance, call us today for answer to all of your questions.

What Information Is Needed To Get A Quote?

We are looking to develop a relationship with each of our clients; this requires an element of trust on both sides. We hope to earn yours in the not too distant future. The information needed to obtain an accurate quote will depend upon what type of insurance you are considering. Please be assured that the information being requested is just what is needed for the quote and that ALL information remains absolutely confidential. At Ken Insurance, we try to avoid quoting on an apples-to-apples basis. Our approach is to individually design a coverage plan appropriate for your needs.

The essentials include for any insurance quote: 

  • Name of the person or business we are quoting
  • Address of person or business
  • Phone Number and/or Email 

In addition to the "essentials" listed above, we will need the following information depending on what type of insurance we are quoting.

Auto Insurance

  • Driver's license
  • Vehicle information of those to be insure (VIN# are very helpful)
  • Information regarding existing coverage you currently have and wish to have included in your new quote

Homeowners Insurance

  • Discuss your home to determine appropriate coverage

Business Insurance

For business insurance, we will need to get into a bit more detail in order to find the best company for your type of business. We are not trying to be nosy, but these are some of the factors that go into developing the premium on commercial insurance.

  • Nature of your business
  • Annual gross receipts 
  • Annual payroll
  • Business location
  • Business personal property

What does liability insurance cover?

Liability insurance protects you by covering the monetary “damages” (within your policy coverage) if someone sues you and you are held legally accountable to pay damages for such things as an accident, negligence, or an injury.

What does property insurance cover?

Property insurance, which is also known as homeowner’s insurance, covers loss or damage to you home, the contents in your home, and any liability (accidents, injury, etc.) you may incur.

How does a deductible work?

The deductible is the fixed amount you are personally responsible for paying before the benefits of your policy begin to handle the claim. It is usually the case that the higher the premium, the lower the deductible, and vice versa. Ask your independent insurance agent what is the best option for you.

Why should I use an independent insurance agent instead of online insurance?

An independent insurance agent usually represents several different insurance companies. This is great for you because your agent can check with all of these companies at once to get you the best price. An independent insurance agent can also provide you with personalized attention including in person visits, reviewing important documentation (leases, business documents etc.), explaining state and local laws, and offer suggestions on how to avoid claims. You also have the peace of mind of knowing exactly who to call if help is ever needed.

What does “Bonded and Insured” mean?

Bonded, in a business context, usually means that the company has completed a background check on their employees and there are no criminal charges in their past or pending. Insured means that the business carries liability insurance-coverage for personal injuries, property damage, and worker’s compensation.

What does my Homeowner’s Insurance cover?

Typically, your homeowner’s insurance policy will cover your home and personal belongings inside of your home. In the event of a major loss like theft or fire, you will be able to replace the contents of your home. There are many factors to think about when determining the right amount of coverage for your belongings. Special software is available so you don’t have to do it on your own, including the free one at The Insurance Information Institute’s website.

What is Umbrella Insurance?

Umbrella insurance is extra liability insurance. It helps protect you from lawsuits and major claims which results in protecting your assets and your future. It is designed to provide additional liability coverage which goes above the limits of your homeowner and auto insurance policies and kicks in when your other policies have reached their maximum. Umbrella insurance also covers you for claims that might be excluded by other policies such as false arrest, libel, and slander.

Do I need Workers Compensation?

If you hire an employee, yes, you need worker’s compensation insurance.
Sometimes called, worker’s comp, this type of insurance provides medical benefits and replacement of loss wages for employees who are injured while working on their job. In exchange for worker’s compensation, the employee gives up his or her right to sue the employer for negligence.

Miscellaneous Insurance Terms

What is Collision Coverage?

If another automobile hits you, or you hit another automobile or object, this will pay to fix any damages to your car.

What is Comprehensive Coverage?

This will pay for damage to your automobile caused by an accident other than a collision. Examples would include damage by a flood, storm, fire, or theft.

What is Medical Coverage?

Medical Coverage will cover you or passengers in your car that do not have medical insurance in the event of an accident.

What is Bodily Injury Liability/Property Damage Coverage? 

This coverage will pay for another person’s injuries or death if you are responsible, as well as legal defense if the other party in the accident sues you.